Saturday, March 12, 2011

Our First Day in Soldotna


Since we spent our first full day here in Soldotna, we decided to fo out and explore the town. I knew it was going to be a small town but, compared to Winston-Salem, it is TINY- about the size of Pilot Mountain. However, what they lack in size they make up for in beauty and interest. I guess it might be because we are in a new place it I'm falling in love with the quaint little community. Our apartment is small but very comfortable. I think it might have been an extended-stay hotel but Matthew and I are very happy here.


(Our Kitchen)


(Our living room)


(Our "master" bedroom)


(the extra bedroom)

For our first lunch I wanted to check out one of the local restaurants. We fell into this pub and we tried their pizza. St. Elias's is acutally a pub and features music every week so I definately want to go back and cehck it out. The pizza was fabulous and the atmosphere was irish and fun.

(the menu front)




After lunch Matthew and I wondered about the "downtown" area and we found multiple ice sculptures all over . one of the locals said that most of these were professionally made but they do sometimes have ice sculpture contests. We had a blast looking for these bad boys!

(a penguin holding a surfborad)


(I loved the cheshire cat...I just wish it still had the tail. I think they lit it up at night.)


(Matthew saw this one and said he thought of me!)

(outside the visitor's center-nuff said)

(a red-headed caveman- It could happen)

(Matthew got the biggest kick out of the leperachan on the pot of gold. As for the other sculpture, your guess is as good as mine)


We stopped at the Soldotna Visitor Center and it was fun to walk around the outside and check out the culture outside. We're planning on going out during the week and looking around the historical museum located around the visitor center.


(Soldotna is known for the large salmon running through the Kenai River. I lvoed this hand-carved bench)


(I loved this guy!)



(This Walk leads to one of the fishing piers used in the warmer weather. It's called the "The FishWalk")

(Info about the river)


(This is a huge river and it's completely frozen)



(Matthew was totally shocked at how much ise was on the river)


(you think?)

(This picture shows how thick the ise is right now. It's not going to break out till mid-April)
While on our way home, we was a famale MOOSE on the the side of the road! It just looked at us like WE were out of place. Totally shocked both of us! We drove by twice to see since it took us mbe surprise!

(How would you like to wake up in the morning, look out the window, and see her looking back at you?)


(Yes this is random, but OMG look at the size of this Alaskan potato? Matthew and I split it and it was STILL too much---Forget Texas, Everything is bigger in Alaska!)

No comments:

Post a Comment